Pages

Monday, June 9, 2014

DJ set I can't ado much about - Juan Atkins Boiler Room Detroit

If the perpetual parade of pointless interviews I have grand marshalled for two post-college years now has taught me anything, it is this: never hesitate answering the call from an unknown number in the middle of your, as of still, pleasant lunch. Every rings is a reminder. Your ideal job is still out there! Then again, considering my astonishing lack of success (for a partial archive on the matter, proceed to #NTU2014) I may not be a "source of note." Be that as it may, I have honed some esoteric skills. I can now compress my thoughts into easily digestible sentences; no small feat for a recovering dual liberal arts major. Anything to keep my mind sharp and my approach fresh. The key to a good first meeting walking out of a room and leaving the impression of being a master chef in linguistic probiotics.

The surprise behind my unemployment, I presume, has rapidly diminished. Alas, I cannot simply apply the brakes to the moving vehicle of marketable job skills that is "the mind of Noggle." I keep improving; call it a fault, just not my biggest weakness. Really, will anyone pour their heart into arguing against my inclinations towards verbosity (lest we relive 1300 words, give or take on a band I never plan on seeing again)?

So, with that having been said, Boiler Room has shared with the world a 45-minute DJ set, mixed live and in Detroit by Juan Atkins, and embedded after the hump. A product of the motor-city, Juan Atkins is part of the core group of musicians that innovated the sound ultimately known around the world as "Techno." As with any good story, however, Atkins's music history spans even further; he happened to start an electronica band prior to his solo debut called Cybotron. And this is about all I can tell you. The Fader happened to upload a brief 20 minute set Atkins mixed for MoMA. Yet the best introduction, relative to time invested, is this a different 2013 mix Atkins curated for BBC 6; primarily for the three-tiered approach of influences, guest mix, and favorite new music.

So much for brevity.

- John Noggle

No comments:

Post a Comment