Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

DJ set I can't ado much about - Dj Isidora Funk Minimix

Like any good American, everything I know about the world - the lesser world beyond our contiguous forty-eight, that is - came from Jon Stewart's mouth. This is not a matter of joy. I am perfectly content with most of my educational information from entertainment. This is a matter of pride. The TV has been my life-coach as long as I can remember, and no government agency, printing press, or loving family member can ever tell me otherwise. As far as I am concerned Arnie Duncan's undersecretary is a wooly mammoth. The Department of Education's offices are located on the corner of Sesame and that oversized bird nest. It comes down to this: turning on the television for more than just pleasure is a quintessential textile in the fabric we call "the American experience." I, for one, am not willing to part with it. When a man has nothing left to stand on, he must lean on his principles - so sayeth Noggle.

While none of this surprising, what follows may be. In between his patented brand of hard-hitting, muckraking, investigative journalism, Jonathan Stewart Leibovitz has been known to run lighter stories. Northward of six years ago, I would dare say, I recall one such package having aired on the Daily Show concerning a new Brazilian dance craze. Two things catch my attention upon rewatching the clip in question. First, the advent of twerking clearly occurred outside of the mainland (and has come a long way since). Second, the video's novelty took away from my initial exposure to funk carioca, favela funk, or Brazilian funky.


After the jump you will find a very serviceable nine minute set from Funk na Caixa, an excellent source for funky, rasterinha, and every combination of Brazilian aesthetics and the credo of worldwide bass music looking to get people moving. The length gives this mix a feeling not unlike an album teaser. Songs are not played out, transitions are abrupt (yet fluid), and it ends just as the mix seems to pick up momentum. But what more can be asked from so short a lesson. Given that, serviceable is the chosen adjective because Dj Isadora does a good job of doing just enough to whet the palate, as it were; an aperitif to the eventual musical feijoada. Before you is a collection of modern funk carioca with nods to house, hip-hop, bounce, and trap. Other than that, I really haven't much to say.

- John Noggle

No comments:

Post a Comment