Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Dj MaboOku [CDM] & DJ Firmeza [PDDG] - "Remix"

No more than a week ago I thought to myself, "Following DJ Firmeza on SoundCloud has been one of my better internet decisions in a while." As I risk recounting my harrowing tale of a series of poor decisions - which led me down a dark, and for that matter, unending, vaprowave hole - I will stick to my realization. Positive reinforcement has corrected my path. It goes without saying I have had no change of opinion. Recent events have really just further entrenched my stance.

DJ Firmeza is a PDDG (Piquenos DJs do Ghetto or Junior DJ of the Ghetto) affiliated producer/beatmaker/song releasing fiend. Aside from the "rhythm for days" credo seeping through every one of the firm three-minute of his consistent and incorrigible joints, Firmeza has an added advantage. On the periphery Firmeza has the intangible tool  of being at the center of the new wave of Portuguese EDM (written about here much better than I could ever summarize); essentially a middle point to the loosely based collective of affiliates, cliques, independents, and miscellaneous dreamers with a copy of FruityLoops.

And the latest addition to this genre's ever-expanding online canon (embedded after the jump) is a collaboration with fellow DJ and PDDG friend DJ Maboku of the CDM crew (and who has a nice introductory set just over yonder). "Remix" is a decidedly different track from the beginning but works well, nonetheless, in large part due to these two producer's affinity for a percussion base. Contrary to the running theme of unrelenting and immediate speed, the song starts with a vocal intro and eases into the groove. Not all together different from the Principe, however, the beat is characterized by not relying solely on a 4/4 signature. Concise samples are abound; in this case using Portuguese dipthongs as the reference points for loops. The most rewarding aspect is yet to come, though, as it lies beyond the ambient harmony. My less than professional recommendation? Wait for the doting bassline that comes in at just about 1m30s.

- John Noggle


No comments:

Post a Comment